Cannabis edibles are becoming a very popular way for people to consume marijuana. Knowing the basics about how strong a marijuana edible can be is advisable before trying one, use our handy edible dosage chart to find what is right for you. From sweet to savory there is something for about every palate. Choices include baked goods, gummies, chocolates, mints, beverages, and even things like peanut butter and cooking oil. Cannabis edibles also include tinctures and cannabis powder. Different products will contain varying levels of tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), cannabidiol (CBD), or both. Knowing what kind of cannabis-infused edibles to try is a matter of personal taste. Marijuana edibles affect each individual person.
Table of Contents
The Right THC Edible Dosage Varies from Person to Person
The effects edible cannabis has will vary from person to person and will be influenced by a variety of factors. Many ask, how much THC? As a rule of thumb, the effects will be greater the larger dose a person has taken. Yet, everyone has a different tolerance for cannabinoids. No two people will react to edible cannabis in the same exact way. The type of cannabis used makes a difference as does the dosage in the edible. Each person will have a different reaction based on their own body chemistry and interaction with different cannabinoids. Additionally, factors like if a person is taking an edible on an empty stomach will affect how they react to it.
What can you Expect from Your THC Edibles Dosage?
The effects individuals will feel after ingesting cannabis edibles will often be more intense. Some people describe feeling the high more in their body rather than mental effects. There will also be a different reaction in the body and in each person to THC and CBD. Because edible cannabis is absorbed into the body it takes longer to feel the effects and they tend to last longer than some other forms of cannabis use. Ingesting cannabis is a much different experience than inhaling. The effects are not identical, they can often last longer and are more intense.
How Many mg of Weed Edibles Should You Eat?
- 1 – 2.5 mg THC edibles – This edible dosage will yield a mild, mellow effect. This dosage can have a positive effect on stress, anxiety, and body pain. Good for first-time or very occasional users, who want a mellow experience.
- 2.5 – 15 mg THC edibles – This edible dosage will result in a moderate to strong effect. A more strong effect on stress, anxiety, pain, etc. Good for those with pain or looking for help with sleeping.
- 30 – 50 mg THC edibles – This edible dosage will result in a stronger, more intense response for those who are not ingesting cannabis. For others, this may be the perfect dose, depending on body chemistry and tolerance.
- 50 – 100 mg THC edibles – This range of edible dosage is very high, and will result in a very strong, quite intense experience. Often these doses are for very experienced consumers or those with medical conditions such as cancer.
How Long Does it Take to Feel an Effect from Marijuana Edibles?
The effects of a cannabis edible may take one to several hours to be felt, some people may feel the effects in about 30 minutes. Unlike when an individual smokes or vapes cannabis and feels an instant effect, ingesting cannabis means that the edible must go through the digestive process before it is dispersed into the bloodstream. Because of this, the effects may take anywhere from an hour to several hours to be felt.
How Long Does a Cannabis Edible High Last?
The effects of a cannabis edible will generally last longer than a high felt from smoking or vaping due to the broad body taking several hours to process all the cannabinoids. Again, the amount of cannabis in the edible, and how much of the edible an individual has taken will also play a role in how long a person feels an edible high. An individual’s metabolism will also impact how long an edible high will affect them. As the dosage of cannabis edibles varies from person to person, the length of time effects will be felt will also vary. It is a good rule of thumb to expect to feel effects for at least a few hours.
How to Calculate the Right Dosage for a Homemade Edible?
Knowing how much THC to use in a homemade edibles can be tricky, lucky for you we have an edibles dosage chart. As intriguing as it may be to whip up your own delectable cannabis-infused concoctions, it can also be very easy to overdo it or underdo it when it comes to the dosage of cannabis use or eating too many edibles. It is always recommended that individuals who are inexperienced with edibles start with a lower dosage anywhere from 1 to 5 milligrams of THC. Around 10 milligrams of THC can be considered an average amount to use. The amount used will also be dependent upon the percentage of THC or CBD in the flower or cannabis oil or powder that is being used.
Try these featured recipes if you want to try to make your own cannabis recipes:
Understand the Effects of CBD and THC Content in Edibles
Edibles that contain CBD only will not have psychoactive effects meaning they will not cause the mental high that is associated with smoking marijuana. Because of this, it is often harder to determine when a CBD-infused edible will take effect. CBD does tend to need a higher dosage to feel effects than THC-infused edibles. CBD dosages tend to be higher in edibles. CBD is often used to treat pain, as well as used for relaxation or anxiety relief. Additionally, CBD has been shown in some research to have a positive impact on muscle spasm treatment and has been used to treat patients who suffer from seizures.
THC tends to be felt in much lower doses. Effects may be like the euphoric feeling one gets after inhaling cannabis. THC also has the potential to cause feelings of relaxation. It has medical benefits helping with many different health issues including weight loss, and appetite loss for people suffering from inflammatory disorders.
What Happens if You Mix CBD and THC Together in an Edible?
It is acceptable to mix CBD and THC together in an edible, they are already mixed together in the cannabis plant. In fact, with a little research, these two cannabinoids can work together to create a more fulfilling edible cannabis experience. Mixing these two cannabinoids together will allow one’s body to interact in a more balanced way two the cannabis. Take note that CBD does tend to negate or tone down the effects of THC. Done the right way, mixing these two cannabinoids together can create a very enjoyable effect.
What About High Tolerance THC Consumers?
The high dosages for edibles range from 30 to 50 mg for THC edibles. It’s recommended for those who have previously used edibles or smoked marijuana. Depending on how you are using marijuana, these doses have a mild effect. For the even more experienced cannabis consumer, there are the very-high dosages of edible with a range of 50 – 100 mg THC.
Tips for Consuming Cannabis Edibles
Cannabis edibles can be very enjoyable and result in an optimal experience. Keep the following tips in mind when trying cannabis edibles, both with THC and CBD:
- When consuming edibles it is always best to start with a lower dosage. If the edible on hand has a high dosage of cannabinoids in it again use caution
- Buy cannabis edibles from a licensed dispensary. Make sure to read the package and note the dosage before trying
- Remember to be patient. It will take some time anywhere from 30 minutes to a few hours before feeling the full effect. Try to wait at least two hours before taking more. Consuming a cannabis edible on an empty stomach may mean a stronger response, and on a full stomach may mean a slower onset of effects
- Make sure to be in a comfortable, safe place where you can relax and enjoy the effects of the edible
- Try not to take cannabis edibles alone. Having a friend or companion there with you can be very helpful, especially if you start to feel adverse effects
What is the recommended dosage for cannabis edibles based on the THC edible dosage chart?
Tips for Relieving Overconsumption of Edibles
Overconsumption of a cannabis-infused edible can happen without intent. If this happens it is important to remain as calm as possible. Do not panic or let yourself become agitated. The good news is that these feelings and symptoms will pass and resolve within a short time, from minutes to hours.
- Drink water
- Eat a light snack
- Take a shower or hot bath
- Take a walk or try some yoga
- Take a nap
- Talk to someone to keep yourself grounded
- Try deep, focused breathing
- Try to relax: watch a movie, listen to soft music, read a book, etc
- Some people report using CBD as a counter agent to overconsumption of THC
- Avoid alcohol
- Do not take any more of the edible until after symptoms pass
- Always start with a low dose
- Remember your tolerance and only consume the dosage that feels good
Cannabis Edibles can be a Very Enjoyable Experience!
A Cannabis edible can be a very enjoyable way to experience marijuana products. With benefits that include relaxation, help with depression, stress management, or pain and anxiety symptoms, a THC edible can be used for both everyday enjoyments and to benefit those in treatment for serious diseases like cancer. Cannabis-infused edibles come in many formats including baked goods, snacks, beverages, powders, tablets, cooking oils, and more. A Cannabis edible will affect each individual differently, especially high tolerance THC consumers. Always remember to start slow and increase your intake as you learn how the edibles will affect you and reference our edibles dosage chart. For more information on medical marijuana or to find an MMJ doctor or dispensary near you visit Leafy Mate.