If you’re interested in learning how to roll a blunt or perfecting your craft, this article will provide some valuable tips for improving your smoke experience. Blunt rolling is an art that needs to be practiced and can vary depending on size, material, and style. We’ll go over how to roll the perfect blunt and the types of blunt products you can use.
If you enjoy smoking weed, blunts might be a good option for you. While they require a bit more bud than some other methods, the intensity of the high is amplified. Keep reading below if you’re interested in learning about blunts and how to roll them.
Table of Contents
What is a blunt?
A blunt is basically a cigar that’s had the tobacco removed and replaced with the ground and dried weed. A blunt represents a large quantity of rolled cannabis ideal for smoking. If you find yourself with an abundance of weed, wanting a more intense high, or just looking into trying other consumption methods, learning how to roll a blunt might make sense.
Benefits & Downfalls
There are a few benefits of smoking blunts:
- Flavor and Aroma: Many blunt fans enjoy the added flavor and aroma. People often like mixing and matching different flavors with various strains.
- Slow burn: Blunts burn longer than standard joints, giving users a better and longer experience.
- Versatility: You can easily and quickly roll one up anytime and anywhere, and a blunt rolled is effective for solo and social smoking.
- Heightened Effects: The combination of smoking longer and mixing cannabis with tobacco can sometimes offer more intense psychoactive experiences.
It’s important to understand that moderation is key when it comes to smoking anything. Here are some of the health risks associated with smoking blunts:
- Adolescent tobacco use can cause a lowered IQ, while cannabis consumption has not been linked to long-term cognitive decline.
- Smoking tobacco is also the primary cause of lung cancer. Cannabis has not been associated with lung cancer when used moderately.
- A study on prenatal cannabis use found that cannabis was not associated with adverse birth outcomes, but mixing cannabis and could cause low birth weight and pre-term delivery.
- Per the U.S. Centers for Disease Control (CDC), cigarette smoking is associated with nearly 500,000 deaths yearly.
- The effects of tobacco have been studied significantly further in marijuana use. However, in the entire history of human cannabis consumption, there has been zero recorded death from cannabis intake.
- According to the American Lung Association, smoking tobacco is associated with adverse health effects, including increased risk of heart disease, lung disease, stroke, several cancers, and damage to blood vessels.
- Studies have indicated that the amounts of nicotine in blunts can lead to substance addiction.
What are weed blunt wraps?
If you don’t normally smoke cigars/cigarettes, and something about the taste or smell of your blunt seems off (aside from bad weed), it could be the effect of cannabis mixed with tobacco leaf. And that isn’t counting the added artificial tastes that come from using a cigar that contains flavored tobacco, flavored wrapping papers, or both.
However, options exist that won’t break the bank: blunt wraps. A blunt wrap is a cigar wrapper wider than a cigarillo but not as wide as a full-size cigar. They typically consist of two main parts; the inner leaf, similar to tobacco paper, and a thicker outer leaf that’s rolled around the inner leaf.
In fact, a tobacco wrap will have a similar price point to the Phillies, Swishers, Backwoods, etc. but you likely have to go online or to dispensaries and smoke shops to find the best ones. Blunt wraps are packaged in multiples, so it’s not hard to find a great bulk deal on these rolling papers.
What materials will I need?
- Freshly loose ground weed
- Loose tobacco leaf wrap, blunt paper, cigar or cigarillo wrap
- Rolling tray or mat
- Patience & Focus
Step-By-Step Guide to Rolling Blunts
Here are the six steps to rolling a successful marijuana blunt:
Step 1: Grind
Break down your cannabis using a grinder for consistency and to help maintain an even and slow burn.
Step 2: Prep
Traditionally, cannabis users will empty a cigar (backwoods and swisher sweets), but these days you can find empty blunt wraps at a convenience store. Cut the blunt lengthwise, empty the tobacco from the middle, and discard.
Step 3: Add Moisture
A little moisture will make the blunt wrap easier to work with and help seal any small tears. This can be done with saliva or dipping the tip of your finger into some water.
Step 4: Fill
Fill the empty blunt with about one to two grams of ground cannabis.
Step 5: Roll
Roll the cannabis between your fingers to pack the blunt evenly. Once you’ve shaped the blunt, tuck the wrap under itself and wet the exposed edge lengthwise.
Step 6: Seal the Blunt
Now that your blunt is rolled, you’ll want to dry it to seal it together and encourage an even burn and eliminate harsh smoke. Bake your blunt by running a lighter lengthwise under the seam and around the outside for a few seconds.
What about joints?
Joint rolling paper is a quick, effective method for smoking cannabis. They are an excellent alternative for people looking to smoke without the risk of ingesting dangerous chemicals. Many papers will also come with a separate filter option for cleaner smoke every time. A joint more closely resembles a cigarette than a cigar but without the risk of nicotine exposure. A proper joint should contain zero nicotine, as they are not made from tobacco.
Smoking blunts became mainstream in New York City around the mid-1980s following an immigrant wave from Jamaica, Dominican Republic, and Puerto Rico. Since then, blunts have made a name for themselves within American rap culture, thanks to Snoop Dogg and other famous rappers.A classic blunt is a favorite in social smoking settings, and they’ve been popularized through various pop culture avenues throughout the years. However, the dangers of smoking tobacco and the chemicals added to some blunts have gained traction in recent years. We are now finding that there are much healthier ways to enjoy cannabis.
The type of rolling paper you use is the essential element of a blunt. Selecting the right one will make all the difference, as blunt lovers tend to be loyal to one brand, using it almost exclusively. Traditionally, you can purchase a pre-rolled cigar or cigarillo, empty the contents, and then filling it with weed before re-rolling it into a blunt.The other type of blunt wrap is a tobacco leaf paper that is typically all-natural, not pre-filled.
Popular and recommended blunt and accessory brands include:
- Swisher Sweets
- Dutch Masters
- White Owl
- RAW black slims
- Zig Zag Ultra Thin
- Juicy Jay’s rolling paper
- KLIP grinder
- Al Capone Cognac Leaf Wrap
- The Blunt Father rolling tray
- King Palm Berr Terps Palm Roll
Wrapping It Up
Smoking blunts can be a great option occasionally, but it’s vital to choose trusted brands, organic material, high-quality bud, and mixing up consumption methods regularly to give your lungs a break. At Leafy Mate, we encourage you to stay safe and talk with a trusted budtender before choosing the right weed blunt product for you.